Thursday, January 7, 2016

Treasure Thursday

Happy New Year everyone!!! The first Treasure Thursday post of the year 2016 is here!

On New Year's weekend, my dear husband was out of town. What would a girl do when her husband is not in town? She goes treasure hunting, of course! Last Saturday, I went to the Gunn Highway flea market in Odessa, Florida. I rarely visit this flea market as I do not usually do well there. Despite the cool weather, there were not many vendors at the flea market. Nevertheless, I still managed to find some treasures and here they are...


I love owls! (mostly the cute ones). Therefore, when I saw this White Owl cigar tin, I stopped breathing for 5 seconds! The graphics on this tin are vibrant and colorful. However, it is missing a lid, which is totally fine with me since I will be using it to store some vintage ephemera in my craft room. Here is the best part...

I went up to the shop owner asking him how much he would charge for this White Owl cigar tin. I was waiting for him to give me some ridiculously high number. He looked at me and said "since it is missing the lid, how about 25 cents?" I was screaming in my head...my brain cells were definitely doing a happy dance! That was the best quarter I have ever spent in my life!

I also bought a tiny set of Old Maid card game and a mouse tin toy from the same vendor for $3.00. 

As I was leaving the same building, I came across an interesting booth. The owner placed things on top of each other. There was no rhyme or reason why things were displayed next to each other. There was dust everywhere. I sneezed a couple of times, but it was not going to stop me from entering his booth. 

I found a tray of cameras on top of a dusty table in a dark corner. At a glance, the cameras look newer...nothing too interesting. And then I found this Kodak Instamatic Camera 804 at the back of the tray with its own case. The red velvet lining inside the case is in very good condition. Guess how much I paid for this camera? $3.00!!! After a good cleaning, this camera looked brand new. 

I also found these items:


The mother goose book was 10 cents and the Hello Tilly book was 50 cents. The plastic Santa on the sleigh was $1.00 and the Santa wood veneers were $1.00 for both.

I found this very interesting doll...


Since I love children's books, there was no surprise that I would be attracted to this Little Red Riding Hood doll, which was displayed on top of a coffee mug. Instantly, I was drawn to the colors of her dress and how well(hand)made her face was. When I started playing with the doll, I discovered that once you turn her red dress over, she turns into the granny. Turning granny's cap back to reveal the big bad wolf. So clever! I paid $3.00 for the doll, and it is already being displayed on top of my shelf in my craft room. The big decision I had to make was to decide which side of this doll I would like to display. 

I hope you enjoyed reading through my Treasure Thursday post. See you next time!

Happy Creating!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Looks like you got some great treasures!!