Friday, August 28, 2015

Birthday Card Tutorial

Today, I would like to show you how I made this cute Birthday card, using stamps from Mama Elephant. 

Here are the stamps I used...


I used the Pandamonium and Flashy Letters sets.


My card size is 4.25" x 5.5". The papers are from Crate Paper - Maggie Holmes.

I used the American Crafts precision pen (01) to make stitching lines along the border of the grey gingham paper. I used Lawn Fawn - Small Stitched Rectangle die to cut out the polka dot paper. 


I stamped the pandas, balloons, and letters using Memento ink and colored them with Copic markers. I used C1 and 0 to color the pandas and R20 for their cheeks. For the balloons, I used Y13, Y15, B02, B04, R22 and R24. I used the precision pen to add bows to each balloon string. In order to make the pandas' eyes look more pronounced, I colored the black part with the precision pen and colored the white part with the Gelly Roll white pen. I also added a layer of Glossy Accents to the balloons and bows. 

Now, for the background...


The frame is from Maggie Holmes' Open Book collection. I cut three pieces of white cardstock paper to fit behind my frame, two of which I had cut into a hillside shape. I left the other piece for the sky background. 

Here is how I made the sky background...


I used Tim Holtz' Spritzer tool to make the sky background. First, I punched out a piece of scalloped circle. I, then, attached my Copic marker (BG02) to the Spritzer and started squeezing the bulb to spritz ink onto my white cardstock paper. Keep moving the scalloped circle around to create the cloud effect. 


For the hillside pieces, I inked each piece with Distress Inks - Mowed Lawn and Peeled Paint. I, then, spritzed Copic marker (E35) all over the hillside pieces to add texture. 



When I was done with the three background pieces, I started layering and attaching each piece to the frame. 


I attached each panda to the background with a piece of foam tape. The "HAPPY" letters were also attached to the frame with foam tape. The entire frame was attached to the background with some foam tape. In order to balance out the card, I added some banners to the top right corner.

When the card is opened, this is what you will see...


Stinkin' cute, isn't it?

I hope you enjoy my tutorial and are inspired to make a card! I will be sure to post more tutorials in the future.

Happy Creating! 

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Thanks for the tutorial Kim! The card is really cute!